These Lentils are a purely Greek variety called "Samos" that has adapted perfectly to the climate and soil conditions of the mountain slopes of Kastoria (Northwest Greece). They are small in size, have a light green color and are grown in small family farms in the Kastoria lake area . The Kastoria region has a long tradition in cultivating lentils, so long that it dates back thousands of years, since archaeologists found lentils at the excavation of the prehistoric settlement "Lemneon" next to the Kastoria lake. The farming fields are mostly located in hilly and mountainous areas, away from the lake, at altitudes between 620m and 1200m (2,035 to 3,940 feet), with no humidity. The climate offers mild winters with low temperatures, mild to moderate rains in the spring, and gradually dry summers with increasing temperatures and intense sunlight. The land consists of limestone, with excellent pH values from 6.5 to 7. Farmers are hands-on every day with traditional farming techniques; it is no wonder the lentils's premium quality goes beyond anything mass-produced you have ever tried. Arosis is proud to call them "their own" because they embody their philosophy: to always produce goods of value, the right way, at the right time.
Enjoy lentils as a main dish, or with a side of sardines!
Arosis has had top quality and production practices since 1956.
Visit www.arosis.gr to see how sophisticated agricultural practices are put into use with respect to the ecosystem and the people involved.
- Small size light green lentils
- Full taste and rich aroma
- Serving size 1/4 cup (32g)
- About 12 servings per bag
- Check the recipe in the back of the paper
- Most friendly disinfection system with no use of chemicals
- Proudly produced in Greece
Product Cautions and Directions
- Soaking for about 1-2 hours reduces boiling time
- Rinse well with cold water
- Add salt 5-10 minutes before the end of boiling (lentils harden with salt)
- Store in a clean and cool place
- Avoid exposure to moisture and sunlight
- Do not consume after expiration
- 100% Greek Lentils